Iranian media reported on Saturday that the head of the judiciary in Iran has threatened to prosecute women who appear in public unveiled “without mercy” in response to an increasing number of women breaking the dress code.
The warning issued by Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei follows a statement on Thursday from the Interior Ministry that reaffirmed the government’s mandatory hijab law.
According to a quote from one of the news websites, Ejei said, “Unveiling is tantamount to enmity with (our) values.” Those “who commit such peculiar demonstrations will be rebuffed” and will be “arraigned without leniency,” he said, without getting out whatever the discipline involves.
“Obliged to refer obvious crimes and any kind of abnormality that is against the religious law and occurs in public to judicial authorities,” according to Iran’s chief justice, Ejei.
Since the death of a 22-year-old Kurdish woman in the custody of the morality police in September, a growing number of Iranian women have been removing their veils. Mahsa Amini had been taken into custody on suspicion of breaking the hijab rule.
Government powers fiercely put down a very long time of cross country revolt released by her passing.
Despite this, women are frequently seen revealing themselves in malls, restaurants, shops, and on the streets of the country, risking arrest if they break the dress code. Recordings of revealed ladies opposing the ethical quality police have overflowed web-based entertainment.
Women are required to conceal their figures by covering their hair and wearing long, loose-fitting clothes under Iran’s Islamic Sharia law, which was enacted following the 1979 revolution. Infractions have resulted in public reprimand, fines, or arrest.
The Interior Ministry said in a statement on Thursday that there would be no “retreat or tolerance” regarding the issue, describing the veil as “one of the practical principles of the Islamic Republic” and “one of the civilizational foundations of the Iranian nation.”
It advised common people to confront women who were not covered. In previous decades, directives of this kind encouraged hardliners to attack women without fear of retribution.
After a viral video appeared to show two women being attacked for not wearing the hijab, Iranian authorities ordered the arrest of two women on Saturday.
Two female customers in an Iranian shop who were not required to wear a headscarf or hijab appeared to be assaulted by a man after a verbal fight, according to widely circulated social media footage.
Before the shopkeeper confronts the man, the footage shows him applying what appears to be yogurt to the heads of the two women.
According to the judiciary’s Mizan Online website, authorities issued an arrest warrant against the man “on charges of committing an insulting act and disturbance of order.”
However, it also stated that the two women had been issued arrest warrants for “committing a forbidden act” by removing their headscarves.
According to the regulations, “necessary notices have been issued to the owner of the shop where this happened in order to comply with legal and Sharia principles” was added.